Are you planning a career in psychology? Below you will find all necessary information that will help you find best psychology schools of your choice.
Psychology Schools Rankings
We have compiled important information about different top psychology schools across United States and presented in an understandable tabular form. We fetch this data from U.S. Department of Education directly and make sure that it is up to date. Explore our list of top psychology schools to find the one that best suits your needs based on factors that matter most to you.
10 Most Affordable Psychology Schools
There are different things that you should consider before you choose a program in psychology and find psychology school. Start by figuring out your personal interests by learning about different areas of concentration and training models for each of these areas of concentration.
Area of Concentration
The area of concentration is the first thing you need to decide before you find psychology school. Are you interested in a clinical or an experiment path? Once you answer this question, you can go on and look at the training model for that area of concentration. If you choose clinical concentrations, you should think about seeing clients in active practice. On the other hand, focusing on experimental concentrations means you should prepare yourself for research and not for practice.
Once you have found out the area of concentration that interests you, it’s time to figure out the right training model according to your interests. If certain training model fits one, it may not fit another. Therefore, it’s more of a personal choice than anything else.
There are three main training models.
- Research scientist: Those who opt for this training spend most of their time in research. Although this training method is common for experimental programs, some clinical programs may also opt for it.
- Scientist practitioner: If you pursue this model, you will be doing research as well as practice although your main focus will be on clinical experience.
- Practitioner scholar: If you want to focus primarily on practice but still want to do some research, then this training model is for you.
Different Degree Programs
After choosing your training model, you will need to make a choice between M.A., Ph.D., or Psy.D.
- M.A: The Master’s degree program takes 2-3 years to complete. Students will be required to submit a thesis at the end of their degree program. People who have acquired this degree will be able to get licensed as therapists. However, they will have various limitations on practice.
- Ph.D: The Doctor of Philosophy is the most prestigious degree program in psychology. It takes around six years to complete. Students can start a Ph.D program after graduation. They will earn a master’s degree while completing their Ph.D. Students opting for this program will have various funding opportunities and greater employment options will open to them.
- Psy.D: The Doctor of Psychology is a doctoral degree with focus on practice. This program is usually five year long and students need to submit a research paper at the end. The program has high acceptance rate but students get very few funding opportunities.
Finding a Faculty Match
Unlike various other programs, students have to find a perfect faculty match for a successful application in school psychology. When the applications are being accepted, information is available on faculty members. You should be able to find out the faculty members who are actually accepting new students. Your application should be tailored for that member so that it stands a good chance of being accepted.