Colorado state psychology license requirement is regulated by the Colorado Department of Regulatory Industries and it is responsible for issuing licenses. The department requires professionals to pass national examination and the state exam to start practicing in state of Colorado. Below are the additional requirements:
- A doctoral level degree in psychology.
- 1,500 hours of professional post-doctoral clinical service experience
- 75 hours of experience under supervision within twelve months period, which includes 50 hours of direct supervision
- A master’s level degree in counseling.
- 2,000 hours of post-degree internship, which includes 100 hours of direct supervision.
Marriage and Family Therapist
- A master’s level degree in marriage and family therapy.
- 2,000 hours of post-degree professional experience. 100 hours of experience under supervision, which includes 50 hours under direct supervision
- 1,500-hour of post-degree professional experience. 75 hours of experience under supervision, half of this must be under direct face-to-face supervision. These reduced hours requirement is only for applicants with doctoral degree.
Colorado Department of Regulatory Industries has two different option of licenses available for social workers: Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) and Licensed Social Worker (LSW).
- A master’s level degree in social work for both LCSW or LSW.
- 3,360 hours of post-degree professional experience. Which includes 96 hours of experience under supervision, out of which 48 hours must be immediate face-to-face supervision (for LCSW)